AFPCOC, Camp Gen Emilio Aguinaldo, Quezon City (DWDD) – Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenza led the Traditional New Year’s Call at the AFP Commissioned Officers Club at Camp Gen Emilio Aguinaldo in Quezon City.
The Secretary was joined by other officials of the Defense Department; Officers, Enlisted Personnel and Civilian Employees of the Armed Forces of the Philippines led by AFP Chief of Staff Gen Rey Leonardo B Guerrero; Defense-Armed Forces Attaches; Foreign Armed Forces Attaches; Presidents of Financial Institutions; and various stakeholders.
In his speech, Sec Lorenzana reiterated that 2017 was a challenging year, but insisted that they would remain focus on the lessons learned and the good things that last year provided.
The Defence Department mad significant gains in its reform and transformation agenda, like:
- The completion of the AFP Modernization Projects for 2017, thus making the AFP more stronger and credible;
- Improvement of our Civil Defense Preparedness through the approval of various Guidelines in the allocation of National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Funds to expedite the processing and release of funds to member agencies and recipient communities;
- The work towards the attainment of a self-reliant posture witht he development of the Government Arsenal Defense Industrial Estate into a Strategic Resource and Center for the Production of High Quality Defense Articles to support the requirement of our Law Enforcement Agencies;
- Ensured the Welfare and Well-being of our Veterans and their families witht he distribution of P 9.06-B worth of Pension benefitting an average of 208,159 Pension Accounts, and provision of other benefits like Educational Assistance and Hospitalization; and,
- The strengthening of our Defense Partnership with other countries through International Defense an d Security Engagements, like the hosting of various activities in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Association of South East Asian Nation (ASEAN); among others.
But apart from these gains, they were also tested with series of challenges that served as reminders that we should work for solutions as one nation. AES/MCAG